Sunday, May 24, 2009

New Star Trek Movie

I just came back from seeing the new STAR TREK movie. I thought it was absolutely wonderful. I loved the original STAR TREK series -- until they started going crazy with love stories for Bill Shatner. The original episodes were eye-opening and thought-provoking. They showed us individuals from new planets, with images that we'd not seen before.

I was particularly taken by Karl Urban's portrayal of Leonard "Bones" McCoy. He was perfect. You could just about hear DeForest Kelley speaking the lines. Simon Pegg was a little over the top as Scotty and having a relationship between Spock and Uhura was quite a twist. Christopher Pine was wonderful as Kirk and I loved Bruce Greenwood as Christopher Pike.

The graphics were marvelous -- and just seeing the old Enterprise again was similar to the moment in the original STAR TREK movie when Kirk comes to see the renovated Enterprise. The graphics were amazing. If there was a weakness in the movie it would be Nemo -- the baddie Romulan. I don't think it was quite bad enough-- he was OK but not on the grand scale with the rest of the movie.

I hope everyone has a chance to see the movie.
Take care.
Sandy

No comments: