Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Stargate Universe


Are you all anxiously awaiting STARGATE UNIVERSE? I have been watching the trailers available at Syfy, but so far they haven't shown enough for me to figure out whether or not it will be good or not. So far, I'm not liking Robert Caryle - the lead for the series. I guess I like my leading men to be tall and handsome. In the most recent clip, his accent is so strong you need to listen very hard to understand what he is saying. I'm sure the accent won't be as pronounced in the series -- at least I hope it will not be. Only a couple of the crew are known entities -- Lou Diamond Phillips is a great actor and he plays a Colonel caught on the Destiny (an ancient spaceship) with the others. I guess we'll soon see. The series is set to premiere October 2.
I was surprised to see Richard Dean Anderson in the clip. Oh my! Has he changed.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I look forward to watching it too.

Alex said...

So... now it aired. Any comments on the quality of it? So far, I have not been a fan of SG - it lacked character development and I did not find the story intriguing, going from one bad ass to another... SGU had a nice beginnning, however reminded me too much of kind of Star Trek (the first tones of the starting music score), Voyager and BSG (the idea of a stranded group of civilians / military). Hm... dunno. I will definitely give it a chance, however I am not sure whether it is going to get better.

zarg05 said...

So far 7 episodes in i'm finding SGU to lack any true story depth, the human stuff has come over as slightly above soap opera melodrama. The only real character in the show is that of Doctor Russell played by Robert Carlyle, who has many complex layers and is beautifully played. The drama and stories have been somewhat one dimensional. The premise that they can communicate via the ancient stones with earth is the only part with real interest philosophically. being able to live thro someone else's body for a time and the problems in a social context that can entail. It may be a slow burner so i'll keep watching a bit longer yet.

Sandy said...

I have to admit, it is hard to call this Stargate! The only thing that brings it into the original franchise is the gate itself. There really isn't much to draw you into this story.