Saturday, November 15, 2008

New SciFi Shows

There are a number of new shows that I am enjoying this year.  My favorites are Fringe, Eleventh Hour and Sanctuary.  There are unique characteristics about all three that I enjoy very much.  

The interaction between Walter and Peter (father and son) on Fringe is marvelous.  Waler had been institutionalized for 17 years and is now helping investigate cases of parasites, viruses, etc. with the help of son, Peter.  

Sanctuary reminds me of Babylon 5 in a way.  They talk about sentient beings and have a castle full of captured abnormals -- everything from mermaids to major  beasts.  Amanda Tapping from Stargate is wonderful as Helen Magnus, a 157 year old scientist who runs the Sanctuary.  Her daughter Ashley helps her capture other abnormals when they are discovered.  A young doctor, Will, helps with cases as well.  The ratings have been good and they have already been renewed for the second season.  


1 comment:

zarg05 said...

I'm a bit of a 'mundane' or 'Hard SF' fan so i expect maybe a bit too much from my TV experiences. I think the best of the crop of new TV SF shows has to be Flashforward. It has a (so far) good story arc which is slowly unfolding and revealing new layers. There's some interesting things about the old freedom vs determinism axiom. It could all go badly wrong (like the end of BSG)so i'm keeping my fingers crossed. Oh and the original story was written by a 'proper' SF author.